Paekakariki Hill Rd, RD1, Porirua
Phone & Fax: (+64/4) 2399570
Karl Simonlehner, President Email
Club Wellington NZ - History
Wellington NZ History
In 1953 190 Austrian tradesmen came to New Zealand to build
Austrian made kit houses (Thermo-bau Fertighauser) to help
to ease a housing crisis.
There was an acute shortage of building materials and labour
in New Zealand, at the same time as intense pressure for
family housing. In an attempt to force the local building
industry into the construction of low cost housing, the
government opened the industry to the importation of them.
500 prefabricated homes were brought from Austria and
erected in Titahi Bay, near Wellington. For their days they
were well thought out designs.
6o years on, some of the original residents still live in
them. Once the houses were built, the Austrian tradesmen
were invited to stay in New Zealand, as Otto Tiefenbacher
put it; We were so skilful and so good looking they asked
us to stay.
These days our club is to socialise and we try to focus on
celebrating and passing on our traditions.
Simonlehner 04 239 9570
VICE PRESIDENT Gregor Neumayr 021 1504 846
TREASURER Guy Bachler 04 973 8292
SECRETARY Angelika Schoenegger 021 2523 981
COMMITTEE Gene Simonlehner